Tuesday, May 15, 2007

If 10 Long Shots Debate In a Forest...

... does anyone hear it?

As the owner of this blog and someone who holds a BA in Political Science, I'm exercising my right to go off topic. Besides, news on Warhammer is slow these days. The 10 declared GOP candidates are facing off tonight in a debate. I don't get cable, and I can only stand so much of a crappy internet stream, so I'm not watching it. I'm not even motivated, because honestly I don't think any of those 10 have what it takes in overall appeal and/or core support to slay the hate monster driving the Democrat candidates' support. The truly conservative hopefuls debating tonight lack the face/name recognition, and the well known ones (I'm looking at you Mr. Giuliani) aren't conservative enough. Whichever Republican snags the nomination is going to have to overcome a massive set of obstacles, including:
  • The ferocity of the "Bush = Hitler/Satan/worse" crowd, tightly networked on their left-wing blogs, and now financially supported by the likes of George Soros.
  • An admittedly unpopular predecessor who respects the Presidency too much (and lacks the communication skills) to have fired back at his harshest critics throughout his terms. As a result, the Republican side of the political no-man's land is full of impact craters, while the Democrat landscape remains largely pristine.
  • An American public tired of a prolonged war, having lost its resolve thanks to a combination of ingratitude, decadence, and an incessant smear campaign and steady stream of bad news from the left and the mainstream media respectively.
I'm going to remain disengaged in this campaign until my man - Fred Thompson - makes the big announcement. He's well known, charismatic, pragmatic, and unabashedly conservative. Thompson doesn't have to worry about getting his name or face out there. He doesn't have to make excuses or backpedal on his voting record or convictions. I also think he'd mop the floor with Hillary in a debate. She's popular enough in her own political circles, but her sharp voice, sneering face, and liberal track record will make great fodder for the national voter landscape. Don't get me wrong, I believe we'll have a woman president in my lifetime, but I see her as much more of a Margaret Thatcher than a Hillary Clinton. As for Obama, it would take someone with powerful charisma and a quick wit to peel away the well-spoken and smiling exterior to reveal his true liberal core for all to see, should he secure the Democrat nomination. (Alas, in the ethnic barrier-breaking vein, my choice for the 2000 nomination - Alan Keyes - didn't get very far.)

Until Fred steps in, all this debating and campaigning is just background noise to me. If only...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

12 Comments:

Blogger CultureFall said...

Did you see the video of Thompson's response to Moore's invitation to debate?

It was pretty good.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Vaelin said...

No, but I would be in your debt for a link. : )

7:51 PM  
Blogger CultureFall said...

Here you go...

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=611

8:06 PM  
Blogger Vaelin said...

HA! I love it. Pragmatic southern charm for the win.

8:08 PM  
Blogger CultureFall said...

He seems like a good candidate, if he enters.

I'm personally pulling for the 'anybody but Romney' crowd.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Vaelin said...

P.S. How do you guys like the new banner? Hopefully it's better than the dull capitalized Trebuchet font that Blogger gives you by default with this template.

8:54 PM  
Blogger CultureFall said...

Personally, I like the new banner

8:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The American left is riding a wave of anti-Bush sentiment, and to be honest, the right really hasn't had any strong force to push back. It'll be interesting to see who the front-runners end up being for the Republicans, as the Democrats seem to be a two horse "Woman or Black Guy, OMG!" race. Like any media, they're focusing on the fact that it's a woman or a black man, and not nearly enough on the candidates' policies, though there's still lots of time for that. All in all, it will definitely be an interesting run up to the election, and one a lot of people will be watching closely.

(Just in case you're wondering, I'm Canadian, so U.S. politics do matter quite a bit to me. It's good when you get along with your neighbour, and one of the greatest countries in the world, but there's a fair bit of work set out for whoever gets elected this time 'round.)

PS: I like the new banner. *chuckle*

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll never cease to be amused by the blaming of George Soros and the 'liberal' media for the lions share of the Republican parties woes.

And it'll be fun to see Freddy join the party (if he has the political guts to do so) and watch the Swiftboat groups on the Right go after him. Unless that is he morphs into the neo-conservative ideal as his Fox/internet puff-pieces are indicating.

That said, I'd love to see him tear Moore a new one in a debate, but I don't think it'll happen (the debate that is).

9:12 AM  
Blogger DaoKaioshin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:16 AM  
Blogger DaoKaioshin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:18 AM  
Blogger DaoKaioshin said...

yeah, too bad illinois is a blue state or my vote for keyes wouldn't have gone to waste :\

@zebra: i'm on vaelin's side about the mainstream media being biased. I would actually rather believe in the press. i don't because i see daily negative stories about iraq and afghanistan in msm, but rarely (i can't recall even one, specifically) do i see anything positive.

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home